Fishing is a very popular pastime and there are many public fishing venus around, both lakes and rivers. Most villages have special "fishing days" or competitions when the lake or damed-up river are stocked with thousands of fish and the sportsmen fish them out again. These days are enjoyable for all, not just fishermen and they usually feature bars, lunches, snacks and fun for the children such as being driven around in a trailer attached to a quad bike!
For casual fishers, the lakes are probably the most accessible and there are many near La Goupillère. Please note that a fishing permit is required but these are inexpensive and readily available.
The biggest is the Etang des Pearle, just outside Villaines-la-Juhel and an easy drive. This is a popular picnic venu and walking place as well as a fishing lake and well worth a visit even if you don't want to fish.
There is a specialist fishing tackle shop in Villaines, a little further along the road from Super U and Super U itself sells a fair selection.
|Fishing in the district of Villaines-la-Juhel (Approximate Dates)|
16th March – 26th May 6 am – 9 pm
27th May – 1st September 6 am – 10 pm
2nd September – End of season (27th November) 8 am – 7 pm
Fishing during the night is forbidden
Carnivorous fishing starts on 15th June (2 lines and up to 2 fish per day). The last day of carnivorous fishing is 17th November.
Fishing Permit Prices (Approximate)
• 1 day 1 line 3,00 €
• 1 day 2 lines 5,00 €
• 1 day 3 lines 7,00 €
• 1 day 4 lines 10,00 €
• 2 week card 20,00 € (4 lines)
Permits available from
• Villaines Ofice de Tourisme (lake & river)
• Bar La Gouline (lake & river). Not lunchtimes
• Bar PMU (lake) Closed Wednesday
• Neuf/Occasion (lake) Also sells fishing gear and bait. Closed Wednesday
• Averton Auberge Saint Roch
• Courcite Boulangerie. Afternoon only. Closed Monday
Rules for fishing in the district of Villaines-la-Juhel
• Fishing opening is on Saturday 16th March at 7:30 am
• No one is allowed to greed bait on the opening day
• For this weekend, each person is restricted to one fishing rod
• No one can settle at the lake the day before the opening
• All carnivorous fish caught before the opening date of carnivorous fishing must be released even if injured
• Everyone must have a permit to fish
• Each fisherman must have his own keep net
• You can take away up to 10 trout or salmon plus 13 lbs of white fish
• Trout weighing more than 8 lbs must be released
• You are not allowed to give fish away before you stop fishing
• It is forbidden to fish at night
• Except during the opening weekend and on the 2nd day of releasing fish, each fisherman is allowed 2 crayfish pots beside his own fishing rods
Penalties :- Any offender will be charged 20 € (plus the obligation to buy a fishing card). After three warnings an offender will be barred from fishing and equipment confiscated
Very important :- Do not disturb the fish or other fishermen and remember dogs are not allowed in the water during the fishing season
This guide is for your information only and we accept no responsibility whatsoever for errors or omissions